Art

Here’s a photo of one of my cutting tools next to a woodblock. I use a speedball hobby knife, usually the short rounded flat blade. Sometimes I use the V- shaped blade or a small chisel.

I use the same tools for carving linoleum, which is a little harder to carve than the redwood I use, but much more forgiving.

Anything is fair game, I use a pie crust cutter too sometimes to start patterns.

Very cool!! Thank you.

@DougoBlue

From your perspective, can you recommend a starter block cutting/printing kit? Want to get one as a gift, and I am not sure which items are important enough to have while starting, and which are just not useful. It will likely be used on lino blocks initially, I imagine.

Thanks in advance for the expert advice!

I’m looking at these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Speedball-Block-Printing-Tool-Kit/dp/B002MH5GFS/ref=pd_cp_21_2/144-0095547-0844940?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002MH5GFS&pd_rd_r=8ee8ea89-e35d-4d37-8b1f-825f2bec4c54&pd_rd_w=j8vRP&pd_rd_wg=h0ELS&pf_rd_p=e44de6bb-cc27-4696-9c22-3a1bddefabbd&pf_rd_r=NBQZVMKEGK6QCYKTS3BA&psc=1&refRID=NBQZVMKEGK6QCYKTS3BA

https://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-deluxe-block-printing-kit/

Yes, either of those look good. The Dick Blick kit looks pretty nice and comes with some inks. Those speedball cutting tools are basically the same ones I use - and the one with the blue handle looks like a pretty identical carving tool. It looks like the Speedball kit comes with a Barron for printing, which would come in handy without a press.

Here’s the first proof of Wassily

I love the way you work with the grain.

This looks like a really interesting exhibit:

I saw that article but unfortunately have no plans to be in NYC anytime soon.

Can we all agree that, although some of them are pretty, these paint pour things are not art?

Same here. I’m keeping an eye out if it travels anywhere after San Antonio in the fall.

I cannot and will never agree on whether something is or is not art…

Esthetics are always in the eye of the beholder.

This looks like a great show.

I’ve never been to NYC… but when I get there I will spend a lot of time at the Whitney, Guggenheim, MoMA among other museums.

However, I have been to the Detroit Institute of Art and they have a glorious Diego Rivera mural that has been an inspiration to me since I was a teenager.

I agree. We get a lot of “accidental” artists who stumble on something that makes them feel good to create. I think that’s the point.

Out at the studio I work at we do mono prints and other random ink “clean up prints” that we repurpose into backgrounds for prints or a starting point for drawings, paintings and collages. The accidental quality of art is one of the things I enjoy most about the process of making art.

When stuff gets planned out too much it sometimes loses its appeal to me… reminds me of work.

The movie Cradle Will Rock by Tim Robbins portraits the famous destruction of Rivera’s mural in the Rockefeller Center, because it offended Rockefeller’s political sensibilities. It’s a good movie.

That sounds interesting, I’ll have to check it out. Frida Kahlo is awesome as well.

Please go to New York City. You aren’t all that far.
Two days: museums and pizza and Central Park. A concert at Radio City would be the cherry on top.

I’d love to visit sometime.

Both my daughters have been there to see musicals… I’ve always just been the designated stooge that foots the bill.

Check out this handbill I did back in the 70’s. I did the illustrations on textured paper to simulate a screen and hand-lettered the thing mostly because I was too cheap to get the type set.

Damn that’s great Dougo!