Bourbon, Whiskey, Spirits thread

Auchentoshan is a superb malt. Pronounced ockentoshen in case you’re wondering!

It’s not a rye, though. Give it a try.

You buying? Cause if not I’m still slumming.

If Monkey AND Nick like Willett, I’m sold!

Yeah, I’m suggesting it to my husband.

Did you have better experiences getting crystal head in Deep Ellum?

Sorry, I have limited local DFW references and puerile humor.

I don’t go to Deep Ellum for any kind of head, so…

Old Bardstown, ALC. 45% Vol 90 Proof (Willett Distillery) is excessively sweet sampled neat. The prominent note is caramel. It does not open up with ice and needs to be watered down, sadly. If this were a higher proof spirit it would be so much better.

I are disappoint.

To be fair, it is cheap. I was hopeful though.

I cracked open and polished off the second to last bottle of Elmer T Lee I have last weekend on account of a Buddy’s fiftieth birthday party. We each had about two ounces of the glorious elixir.

It’s going to take a major tragedy or celebration to get me to open up that last bottle unless I can track down another at a decent price.

Angel’s Envy

You guys should really come to Louisville.

Weller… any of them

I know this is a cliche n00b question, what’s your opinion of Laphroaig?

my least fave …back when i used to drink scotch…it was too harsh…too smoky…it coated my mouth like i had just sucked on a traeger pellet.

Peat and smoke are overrated - a hint of it is very nice, but when you get into Ardbeg territory it can be like drinking clay.

I am a huge fan of Bruichladdich and would highly recommend for anyone who is into Scotch.

So it seems like Scotch drinkers are in two camps; peated folks and non-peated.

I got the America’s test kitchen cocktail cookbook and I’ve been trying to make my way through it. One of my favorites was the bourbon cherry “slush”.

I’m switching to the gin based drinks this week due to what’s available in my liquor cabinet.

One camp is way bigger than the other. unpeated Scotch is a small part of the market.

One thing I’ve noticed with this self-isolation is that I’m hardly drinking at all.

That’s probably a good thing… I’ve realized almost all of my drinking is of the social variety, while bowling, meeting w/friends etc.

I’ve drank maybe 3 or four shitty beers in the last two weeks and no liquor.

me too!

i drank two beers fishing…couldn’t finish my beer last sat…it’s still sitting in the garage half full…

i do plan to have a couple this weekend.

some friends plan to social distance “tailgate”

meaning we’ll be by the river and stay on our own tailgates…we’ll see…i’m not letting anyone close to me…i can’t afford to get sick and spread it to the community.