Culinary Arts

@Monkey, gas or electric?

Electric. But that’s fine. There’s no gas in my neighborhood since about 3 years ago when a gas line exploded and destroyed a house and a church and killed one person. Atmos, the energy provider was getting a lot of heat from the residents regarding resupplying in the area.

By the way… monkey the boxy thing under your stove is called an oven. :grinning:

That’s cool. I grew up with gas stoves but had electric all my adult life up until 5 years ago. You better believe I’ve made smores on the stovetop.

Tell me more about these kabobs, will ya? Or post recipe. I want to try on my grill.
Whole foods offered to peel and devein the shrimp for me. I let them. Will buy more and try kabobs on my grill.

Damn. Steve said this was the best meal I’ve ever made!!

bought something delicious for dessert too. Incredible strong coffee ice cream :yum:

Are you depressed or going on a diet?

Congrats on the stove. Everyone scoffs at electric, but I don’t see a huge disadvantage.

I was hoping my carnitas comment would tantalize Inky. No dice.

I was tantalized by your carnitas comment, Ely. Being a vegetarian who loves meat eaters is complicated. I wanted to comment “oooh baby” on Lisa prawns pic but I only eat them with my eyes.

So much blood!!!

You should’ve been here.

This looks like the one. I’m sure they doubled the cayanne pepper because everything he made was painfully hot.

not surprised at all…considering you didn’t microwave another bowl of chef boyardee raviolis

:slight_smile:
and that looks damn good!

:slight_smile:

I used a combo of Giada’s recipe above and this:
almost the same but I used 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes plus 1/2 of a 2nd can bc I like it saucy.

Chef John’s Shrimp Fra Diavolo

Recipe By:Chef John
"This recipe features the devilishly delicious shrimp fra diavolo, or ‘shrimp brother devil’ if we are being literal for comic effect. It’s really good and turns any pile of pasta or rice into a memorable meal. Some people like to add a little lemon, but I don’t think it needs it unless your wine is too sweet."
Ingredients
• 1 pound extra large shrimp (16-20), peeled and deveined, tail left on
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
• 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1 pinch Aleppo pepper flakes, or to taste
• 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 cup white wine
• 1 1/2 cups canned San Marzano crushed tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Directions

1.  Combine shrimp, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt, and Aleppo pepper flakes in a bowl; toss to coat shrimp completely in oil and spices.

2.  Heat a large skillet over high heat until very hot. Cook shrimp in a single layer until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn shrimp and cook until browned on the other side, about 1 minute more. Transfer shrimp to a bowl.

3.  Heat the same skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion with a pinch of salt in hot skillet until onions are slightly golden and just becoming translucent; 2 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and oregano to onion; cook and stir until fragrant, 15 to 30 seconds.

4.  Pour white wine into onions and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon; add crushed tomatoes and lower heat to medium-low. Cook and stir until tomato mixture thickens and flavors blend, 10 to 15 minutes.

5.  Return shrimp to skillet along with any accumulated juices in the bowl. Cook until shrimp are reheated, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir parsley and basil into sauce and season with salt, red pepper flakes, and Aleppo pepper flakes.

Hey @thebalvenie or any other hunters - have any Venison roast or jerky recipes you’d like to share? We have several roasts in the deep freeze to start using up. I can do ground venison in place of beef and deer steaks, but the roast recipe I’ve been using gets old.

Or wild turkey recipes! My boyfriend just likes to cut it, coat it with corn meal, and fry it.

My friend’s dad makes some really good wild turkey soup. He says that’s the best way to eat them.

He’s got some good venison recipes too… I’ll see if I can pry a few away from him.

Do you have a smoker? Jerky is pretty easy.

Yep! Got my fella one for his birthday. We’ve just been using a dehydrator for the jerky though.

I’ll have to look up wild turkey soup

Yeah, make a brine and soak thin strips of that venison in it. Then tie a couple together with string and hang them in that smoker.

I just saw that Arby’s will offer a venison burger in Michigan this fall.

I’ll give it a try, but I’m a bit suspicious.