Drivel Thread 1.0

Definitely don’t get her that one, @highlife

Yeah…nope. I think she’s a ‘young’ 15. Looking for something literary, not incendiary.

When was I 14/ 15 I enjoyed the good, old S.E. Hinton books (The Outsiders, Tex, Rumble Fish, That Was Then This Is Now). I also enjoyed The Chocolate War back then. I guess the appeal of these books for me back then was the characters in the stories were in their mid teens as well. These books may not fall under literary however. Also, they might be quite dated & perhaps a 15 year old in 2021 won’t be able to relate to them. I don’t know.

I’m interested to see what Balv comes up with, but I would recommend the Tenant of Wildfell Hall. There’s nothing explicit in it, and plenty to have opinions about, and it’s faster paced than a lot of the other novels written at the time. I think of this one as “Victorians are just like us,” and my favorite passage to push the point is this gem about a spit take, or how spit takes are contagious:

Not even 100 pages in there is a lively debate about whether we should raise boys and girls the same way. At one point our dimwitted narrator decides to hit his rival upside the head with his walking stick not realizing that he just assaulted his love interest’s beloved brother, not the competition, so there’s situational humor.

I have a version from the nice Penguin linen bound classics collection. It’s a pretty attractive volume with no dust jacket to fiddle with and has one of those girly ribbon bookmarks.

I thought and still think Natalie Babbit’s “Tuck Everlasting” is a fine piece of writing.

I know my eldest daughter has read a ton of stuff that I love to read…she’s read catcher, and David James Duncan…she’s read all of the Josh Green novels

i guess i’d like to know this kid first before suggesting a book…

is she a reader?
perhaps you bring her a favorite book of yours from when you were that age?

Tuck Everlasting was great AND short! Lovely suggestion.

when i think of young adult i think of Gary Paulsen, and wrinkle in time and narnia and tolkien and even roald dahl…to me those are amazing foundations to start with as a young reader…great stories, writing and characters…time and place and settings…

even jerry mentioned Robert Cormier’s chocolate war…cormier wrote a bunch of other stuff…
there’s also an amazing young adult writer by the name of Chris Crutcher…nothing earth shattering here…but if our goal is to get her engaged into reading then these peeps aforementioned are a good place to start!

My feel when I asked mom for Goosebumps in first grade and she made me read about Tesseracts instead.

I read all of these a lot younger than 15. BUT to Balv’s point, Many Waters is a stand alone that any hormonal girl would love, especially if she’s at all church-going. My copy featured the McMurray Twins with no shirts… v. salacious for a book about Noah’s Arc.

For something modern, but not too mature, but well-written, pulls at the heart strings, but not too devastating, and even featuring characters the same age: Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. If she likes it, there are soon to be four more books to read, but Practical Magic was written first and decades before, so it more than works as a stand alone and also has that 1990’s nostalgia factor Gen Z flips for because of the movie adaptation (which, of course, is nothing like the novel, but features the very very best of mid-late nineties fashion and Instagram witch aesthetic).

So many good choices, I am hit with option paralysis.

She lives in a beach community that is full of tourists in the summer. Off-season, it’s not full of cosmopolitan literary types, mostly aged C-students who work at carpentry and like to fish.

She’s smart but there’s not a lot of culture there to be influenced by. Why do I keep returning to ‘magical realism’ as an option? Not sure if that’s too mature in terms of being able to ‘get it.’

OK, I ordered The Alchemist by Paolo Coehlo.

I like all things Brazilian and this is half the length of 100 Years of Solitude. Thanks for all of your input, even though it may seem that I ignored it. It helped me to define what I was envisioning.

Tuck Everlasting!!!

“The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning. The weeks that come before are only a climb from balmy spring, and those that follow a drop to the chill of autumn, but the first week of August is motionless, and hot. It is curiously silent, too, with blank white dawns and glaring noons, and sunsets smeared with too much color.”
― Natalie Babbitt, Tuck Everlasting

“The way I see it," Miles went on, "it’s no good hiding yourself away, like Pa and lots of other people. And it’s no good just thinking of your own pleasure, either. People got to do something useful if they’re going to take up space in the world.”
― Natalie Babbitt, Tuck Everlasting

He’s a national treasure.

And helpful

Baltimore’s finest.

I am drinking an excellent and reasonably priced Jinxuan Oolong from a small shop/company in Indiana. It is called Beautiful Taiwan tea company if you want to find them online. Covid #s are increasing drastically here. The rain is making for wonderful background sound. Happy Friday and Drivel.

I love your Yixing teapot. We just got a third window unit for our kitchen, so I’ve been able to make tea again no matter what the weather is doing. Feels good, man.

Thanks. Yixing teapots are a treat. They are like old good friends/companions. I love watching the patina change over time. Here is another pot I keep here at work. I was gifted it in 95.