Fuckin’ Neil

Tucker Carlson?

Matt Taibbi used to give ironic takes on how shallow the news media is, and now he’s the Tucker Carlson of the “both sides are equally bad” take. He has become completely irrelevant. Hence his never ending Twitter feuds with randos.

I don’t know, I’m just lazing around the house in my Greenwald-turned-me-into-a-Deepstater t-shirt.

My introduction to Joe Rogan was coming into work in 2019 and having my 19 year old intern ask me if I knew who he was. I tuned out at “used to host Fear Factor.”

glenn greenwald

nah man. his twitter feuds (of which i know nothing) sound unattractive, but the dude has been one of the most consistently persistent tell-all journalists out there…

in my book, they don’t come much better than taibbi

Agree to disagree. Love you still.

I’ma put it this way.

A scientist puts a rat in maze.

During that time the rat may learn a few things. How to find the cheese. How to find the cheese quickly. How to retrace their steps when they have made a bad choice. How to avoid pitfalls.

But what they will never understand is that they are a fucking rat in a maze put by there by someone to run tests.

Which is why I don’t look to journalists to analyze what’s wrong with journalism. I’d look to professionals whose experience includes the type of analysis that would shed light on what the problems are without being mired in them. Sure, a journalist can help by saying what they see as a problem, but that is one of many steps.

So I see this armchair analysis as doing more damage than good, and likely simply providing a ‘quotable’ source for scape-goatism and ‘big media’ hatred by simps.

I’m not talking about you Balv, I’m talking people who don’t bother to read the books, and likely don’t read anything as much they just listen to talking points.

Richard Wolff (economist)?
Thomas Frank
Mr. T?

Same dude
Same

P. J. O’Rourke?

I haven’t seen him do any work lately, but as long as he’s breathing he counts.

taibbi is a bit different. he’s not really an outsider, but he’s not an insider either. this book is his manufacturing consent and in that aspect, it does a damn good job of explaining media and some of its evolutions. i hope you read it. but it’s okay if you don’t. it’s nothing earth shattering but it’s damn good hot take in a room full of sweaty refried mold infused leftovers.

I like Chris Hedges, but I don’t get to read enough of his work. Taibbi and (someone else mentioned) Greenwald have completely sold out to the culture war nonsense and moved right. Used to respect both of them, but they each lost their way the past few years. I think the internet helped scramble both of their brains.

Agree about Greenwald. He was an independent thinker, who was shat upon by the left mainstream media and that pushed him over to the right. He’s made many appearances on Tucker.

Taibbi is a bit of a different story. If you watch his show “Useful Idiots” he has journalists on who cover unions/labor organizing, Thomas Frank, and Nina Turner, and many others who are boosters for left causes in the mold of Bernie Sanders. So it’s very reductive to say Taibbi is on the right (because you know you are basing that off of his criticism of left leaning mainstream media). I don’t think his Twitter is any indication of his leanings either.

I don’t claim to follow Taibbi that closely anymore (although I used to be a big fan and bought all of his books about the various presidential campaigns he followed), but to me the weirdest thing is his constant claims that the media are inventing the Russian misinformation campaigns into our elections. He’s constantly splitting hairs and missing the forest for the trees. It’s bizarre.

He just died.

In this corner, Willie ‘the Killer’ Cash…

I don’t have an issue with criticizing left media, because in all honesty there is no real left mainstream media in this country. I don’t watch MSNBC or listen to NPR or any of that garbage. But the quasi anti-vax stuff or ivermectin nonsense and supporting the Canadian truckers is too much for me. I used to like Katie Halper too but sometime she says some questionable things too. I’m not wedded to anyone in the media so it doesn’t bother me to say any of them are full of it or frauds.

Does he support the truckers or support the right to peacefully protest?

Does he support ivermectin or support the idea of having a discussion about a drug w/o characterizing it and dismissing it as a horse dewormer?

You have to suss out the difference. It’s easier to just categorize people, instead of examine their principles. .

MTaibbi sees the failure of trust in government and the media as something you could put at the foot of the media.

The FDA says it shouldn’t be used to treat Covid. What is there to discuss? Also, it is a horse dewormer.