Is everyone ready for next Friday 6/19/20?

Rough and Rowdy Ways is getting glowing reviews all over the place.

That’s good to hear. I didn’t want another damn covers album. Not that I didn’t enjoy them. But, Bob Dylan is the greatest, original songwriter ever and it’s been too damn long since we got some original material from Mr. Dylan.

This is true, however Mr. Dylan has certainly earned the right to do whatever he wants.

Also happening on Friday, a live stream of a Tedeschi Trucks Band gig. I don’t know them, but it just popped up on a BandsInTown email

Amanda Petrusich gives me hope for the future of music journalism.

I mean, seriously,

My favorite track on “Rough and Rowdy Ways” is “I’ve Made Up My Mind to Give Myself to You,” a gentle ballad about deliberately resigning oneself to love and its demands. It’s not the album’s richest or most complicated song—“Key West (Philosopher Pirate)” is Shakespearean—but I’ve been listening to it constantly, mostly for its evocation of a certain kind of golden-hour melancholy. Imagine sitting on a porch or on the front steps of an apartment building, nursing a big drink in a stupid glass, and reluctantly accepting your fate: “Been thinking it all over / And I thought it all through / I’ve made up my mind / To give myself to you.” It’s not quite romantic, but, then again, neither is love. The song’s emotional climax comes less than halfway through, when Dylan announces, “From Salt Lake City to Birmingham / From East L.A. to San Antone / I don’t think I could bear to live my life alone!” Ever so briefly, his voice goes feral.

I have been listening to nothing but Rough and a Rowdy Ways since last week. What a great album.

I like them both so far; perhaps the Neil Young (particularly the song White Line) one more than Dylan, but as usual, Dylan’s lyrics are excellent.

Early favorites from Rough and Rowdy Ways: I’ve Made Up My Mind to Give Myself To You, Key West (Philosopher Pirate). Key West is a great trance to me

Yes! Those and Goodbye Jimmy Reed.

Love them both. Already had a good amount Homegrown but didn’t realize it.

I have to say…I’m super pleased with both of these albums. So much that I plan to listen every piece of Neil Young & Bob Dylan music that I own (I have all of them. Archive series & Bootleg Series included) in chronological order. It’ll be interesting to see if I can accomplish this task in my recreational time before the end of 2020. I’ll include Buffalo Springfield, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young albums. As well as The Travelling Wilburys. I know I can do it!!

Please check in when you get to Knocked Out Loaded, Down in the Groove, Trans and Everybody’s Rocking. Just to make sure you’re still okay.

I’d love to skip Trans & Everybody’s Rockin’. Those are pieces of shit. But, I believe Everybody’s Rockin’ clocks in under 30 minutes. So there’s always a silver lining.

The hardest one to get through will be the Bob Dylan - The Cutting Edge 1965 – 1966: The Bootleg Series Vol.12: Collector’s Edition. Eighteen fucking discs. One whole disc dedicated to Like A Rolling Stone.

I saw Neil on the tour for Trans/Everybody’s Rockin’ and it was a great show. I sat in the second row of the theater and shot a few (bad) photos. The solo acoustic set was fantastic, the electric content which was very much like LiveRust as well as his brief bits of Trans/doowop/ThisBudsForYou.

The show had an incredible amount of variety, all performed very well.