Jason isbell announces new album and 5 nights at The Ryman

saw him last night in akron, oh. seemed a little rushed or annoyed but still enjoyable for sure.

Rubber Bowl? jk. He plays theatres.

close! goodyear theatre.

dude upstairs pouring drinks was filling my glass 3/4 full of decent gin with just a splash of tonic for $8. had…several.

Don’t know if anyone had shared this before…

This was really good. Making me reconsider/go back to this album and give it another listen.

https://www.jambase.com/article/jason-isbell-400-unit-debut-allman-brothers-band-cover-seattle

Last night, Jason Isbell continued an extensive tour with The 400 Unit in support of The Nashville Sound at The Paramount Theatre in Seattle. The show included the band’s debut version of “Melissa,” an Allman Brothers Band classic.

Isbell treated fans to a career-spanning set including material he wrote during his time in Drive-By Truckers and cuts from The Nashville Sound, 2011’s Here We Rest, 2013’s Southeastern and 2015’s Something More Than Free. Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit debuted their take on “Melissa” towards the middle of the show. The frontman noted he worked it up for the show adding that it might be the first time anyone prepped an Allman Brothers cover just for a Seattle audience.

“Melissa” isn’t the first ABB tune to be performed by Jason and his band. The group debuted a cover of “Whipping Post” earlier in the tour, though it’s gone missing as of late. Gregg Allman penned “Melissa” in 1967 and it was included on the Allman Brothers Band’s 1972 LP Eat A Peach as a tribute to Duane Allman, who was a huge fan of the tune.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.

didn’t get to watch these yet so will do when I get home.
I just can’t get into Cumberland Gap. It’s my least favorite song on the album since the first time I heard it…in the same way Super 8 was.

I like the song well enough - although it’s far from my favorite on The Nashville Sound. It seems like a kind of odd mix with the vocals so far up front the guitars are all but buried in the mix. That awful sound and mix just rips the guts out of the song. Those lights flashing around don’t really help either. The shows - or event’s producers don’t seem to know how to present either of these two songs, so they just push the pop rock pre-set button.

All kinds of new tour dates in the new year here: https://www.jambase.com/article/jason-isbell-the-400-unit-announce-2018-winter-tour-ryman-webcast

some with James McMurtry opening too.

plus a webcast of Ryman show this Friday night!

Wow. 6 Nights at the Ryman. And a European tour with Tift Merritt! I need to win the lotto tout de suite.

I also like Frank Turner, but we get McMurtry in my area. Not a big fan. But what a huge tour!

Hopefully he will try to mix it up a lot more than usual for six nights at The Ryman.

coming to Buffalo!

my lucky day.

So far on Night 1 he played 19 songs.
On Night 2 he also played 19 songs: 9 repeats and 10 new.

I think that’s pretty good. Night 2 setlist looked way better to me. But I can’t stand Codeine or Super 8 and neither was played on Night 2! So far the encore started both nights with a Tom Petty cover. Night 1: Refugee and Night2: You Wreck Me

Night 3 at The Ryman

20 songs: 12 repeats, 6 for the 3rd time, and 8 new songs. plus John Prine came out.

https://www.jambase.com/article/jason-isbell-400-unit-play-3rd-tom-petty-cover-3rd-ryman-show

Tonight’s show at The Ryman will be streaming for all of us to watch!

Their show at the historic venue on Friday, October 13 will be webcast live on Isbell’s Facebook page, Twitter and YouTube (embedded below). The concert begins at 9:15 p.m. CT.

Bit late for us brits, I’ll have to wait until Halloween when I see them in Birmingham…