Live Music Thread

I got a few videos I’ll be sure to upload later for Monkey.

Saw Steve Earle two nights in a row in the Stoughton Opera House, a beautiful small theater south of Madison, WI. Both shows were very good. He played the Last Gunfighter Ballad on the first night and Desperados Waiting for a Train on the second night as tributes to Guy Clark. His bass player of 31 years, Kelly Looney, died recently, and he played Pilgrim as a tribute to him. He also played Fort Worth Blues, his tribute to Townes. Come to think of it, it was kind of a somber affair, but great shows.

Got Slaves coming up soon, loud punky type band. Plus Goldfrapp in March, Darwin Deez in April and Foals in May.

Back in 1996, Steve Earle performed a show in the prison he had been incarcerated in. It was shown on MTV, called To Hell and Back.

Saw The Jayhawks last night. Yeah, they are still around, and always popular here in Toronto so they did 2 packed (and sweltering hot) shows. It was more of a career retrospective which suited me fine. Lots of old faves. With all the stress of late it was good to see an old favourite that can send you home with a smile on your face. Plus, they dedicated Blue to a local DJ who passed away suddenly this year, and who I knew years ago when we were both at a university radio station. Nice of them to remember him. He was a big fan.

I’m Gonna Make You Love Me
The Man Who Loved Life
Stumbling Through the Dark
Take Me With You (When You Go)
Quiet Corners & Empty Spaces
Living in a Bubble
Tampa to Tulsa
Nothing Left to Borrow
Smile
Waiting for the Sun
Gonna Be a Darkness
I’d Run Away
All the Right Reasons
Save It for a Rainy Day
I’m Down to My Last Cigarette (Billy Walker cover)
Trouble
Backwards Women
Settled Down Like Rain
Blue
Until You Came Along (Golden Smog )

Encore:
Angelyne
Tailspin
Bad Time (Grand Funk Railroad cover)

Great band

That looks like a great setlist too.

how cool and how odd that i had just put them on my elk camp playlist…it had been years since i put them on…great setlist.

Saw Andrew Combs with Kirby Brown as support last week in a beautiful little church. Great night, fantastic live (great band he has) and good chat after.

love andrew combs

He has a hell of a voice. His falsetto is ridiculously loud

One of those upcoming solo shows is in Grand Rapids at the Fountain St. Church. I’ll be tempted to go, it’s where my college graduation was. A great intimate theater with excellent acoustics.

You should go. I’ve seen him solo acoustic and it’s beautiful. There’s a fancy private school here with a 400 seat theatre for the kids orchestra performances. It Was built for premium sound and it sounds amazing in there. He’s played there 3-4 times and it has been exceptional.

I’m going to this. Pretty excited.
Brand new venue opening in Nashville too.

We went on a little trip to attend Steve Earle’s benefit show for his son’s school. Josh Ritter, Jason Isbell, and Amanda Shires were there. It was a really great show. It’s always great to see Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires play together. Steve’s set was solid.

We then drove to Wilkes-Barre to see Jason Isbell do an acoustic show with his guitar player, which was really great. I’m looking forward to the new album.

That’s great, I heard he was doing a handful of acoustic gigs.