Local musical history.

http://theconcertdatabase.com/venues/crazy-horse

This barn is in Portage Where I grew up a couple miles from where I live now. They use to have concerts here back in the late 60’s. Even though I was a little young to go to concerts before they closed down I remember hearing about the shows. The MC5 played here along with the Frost with Dick Wagner. Bob Seger and others played there as well.

It still sits here empty… I think an electric business was there for a while.

If work takes me to Belgravia in a posh part of London, for years whenever I pass number 8 Chesham Place, I look up at the top floor as this is where i believe Pete Townshend had a flat in the mid 60’s.
Apparently, he had a home studio set up in the flat and I like to think that he wrote My Generation there.

There’s no plaque on the outside or anything to say he lived there knocking out home demos for The Who all night long but i remember reading that he lived at this address.

This is the nearest place with music history to where I live now. It’s currently called The Ivy House and is now a community run pub and listed building rebuilt into its current form between the world wars, with a modest stage in a back room.

In the early 70s the pub was called The Newlands Tavern and the ‘pub rock’ scene was the thing in the UK. The pub was then played by Elvis Costello, Joe Strummer, Ian Dury, Dr Feelgood, Hugh Cornwall and Graham Parker. In 1974 before setting off for an American tour, Jeff Beck played the venue.

The House of Guitars (or ‘HOG’ for short) is legendary in Rochester, NY - established in the 60’s. It’s about 3 minutes from my house and right by my grocery store. It’s a must-stop for every band that comes through town. They sell tons of guitars in the front, and have an epic record store in the back. They’re also known for their lack or organization. You’ll find guitars stacked on top of each other or piles or records on the floor. That can drive some people crazy, but if you’re a treasure hunter, you’ll love digging around to find some gems.

Oh wow.

I want to dig through their “junk” so bad.

Kentucky is The Blue Grass State. Some cool stuff is Kentucky Music history, and of course modern music from Louisville includes My Morning Jacket and Bonnie Prince Billy! And from the state of Kentucky: Sturgill Simpson and Chris Stapleton

From Wikipedia:
The Music of Kentucky is heavily centered on Appalachian folk music and its descendants, especially in eastern Kentucky. Bluegrass music is of particular regional importance; Bill Monroe, “the father of bluegrass music”, was born in the Ohio County community of Rosine, and he named his band, the Blue Grass Boys, after the bluegrass state, i.e., Kentucky. Travis picking, the influential guitar style, is named after Merle Travis, born and raised in Muhlenberg County. Kentucky is home to the Country Music Highway (Highway 23), which extends from Portsmouth, Ohio to the Virginia border in Pike County.[1]

Some notable people from Kentucky:
Sam Bush, Bluegrass Hall of Fame inductee from Bowling Green
Rosemary Clooney, born and raised in Maysville
The Everly Brothers, with family roots in Muhlenberg County (older brother Don was born there)
Steve Gorman, drummer for The Black Crowes born and raised in Hopkinsville
The Judds, from Ashland
Loretta Lynn the “Queen of Country” and her younger sister Crystal Gayle, both from Van Lear in Johnson County. Portrayed in the film Coal Miner’s Daughter.
My Morning Jacket, Louisville-based band. Psychedelic, alternative, Southern rock. Had a #5 album on the Billboard 200 with Circuital in 2011.
Will Oldham, folk & indie musician, born in Louisville
Sturgill Simpson, born in Jackson (Had a #3 album on the Billboard 200 in 2016. Grammy-nominated for album of the year.)
Slint, a rock band formed in Louisville
Chris Stapleton, country rock, Paintsville. Had a #1 Billboard 200 album in 2015. Grammy-nominated for album of the year.
Dwight Yoakam, born in Pikeville

Maryland has some significant music history as well. A lot in Classical and Jazz and Doo Wop.
Some notes:
Maryland has produced popular musicians from many fields, including doo wop and hardcore punk, as well as the gangsta rap of Tupac Shakur, the contemporary R&B of Toni Braxton (who had 2 No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hits, including “Un-break My Heart” in 1996), Sisqo (who had a No. 1 Hot 100 hit with “Incomplete” in 2000), and Mario (who had a No. 1 Hot 100 hit with “Let Me Love You” in 2005), and the pop of Cass Elliott. Though doo wop can be traced to many urban areas across the United States, especially New York City, Sonny Til’s 1946 band called The Vibranaires, later known as The Orioles, can be considered the first doo wop group.[19] The genre-crossing Frank Zappa was also from Maryland, as was Tupac Shakur, who was born in Harlem, though he began his career in Baltimore, eventually becoming one of the most famous rappers in hip hop history.

Maryland has also produced many renowned jazz musicians, such as Eubie Blake, Elmer Snowden and Billie Holiday. The Urbanite magazine describes Baltimore jazz as variously a wildly varying array of styles or a “hard bop town, where R&B, gospel and bebop meet”; during the middle of the 20th century, Baltimore produced a vibrant local jazz tradition characterized by the use of the B3 organ. Many modern Baltimorean jazz musicians are renowned saxophonists, including Gary Thomas, Gary Bartz and the Afro-Caribbean influenced TK Blue. Internationally acclaimed jazz ensemble Fertile Ground led by Baltimore native James H. Collins Jr. are also based in Baltimore.

Famed Talking Heads lead singer David Byrne lived in Baltimore. Jimmie’s Chicken Shack, Clutch, Good Charlotte, All Time Low, and O.A.R. are other popular American rock bands with strong ties to Maryland.

Mama Cass Elliot of The Mamas & the Papas was from Maryland, and began her singing career there. Another Maryland band similar to the Mamas and Papas, the Peppermint Rainbow, was discovered by Mama Cass and had a top forty hit with the song “Will you be staying after Sunday”. Maryland-based band The Ravyns are also notable for having their song “Raised on the Radio” appear on the soundtrack to Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Wow I didn’t know Crystal Gale was Loretta L’s sister.

I didn’t either.
Learn something new every day…

I have an album Tom Waits did with Chrystal Gale. It is a soundtrack. One From The Heart, maybe?

how in the holy fuck do i live in buffalo and have never heard of this place…this weekend man, ROADTRIP

You’re gonna love it, bambino. You could spend all day there. There’s literally stacks of records on the ground that you may feel compelled to get to the bottom of - as I do.

dude i’m pumped. with record theatre closing down i needed some good music news in WNY…

Did you make it out to the HOG over the weekend?

no! soon though

Hoagy Carmichael lived Missoula, MT

some family stayed and then moved up to whitefish…i went to high school w/ two of his granddaughters

Not sure where to begin - Toronto was actually a big R&B and Jazz city in the 50s and 60s. Of course The Hawks (aka The Band) began around 1960 as Ronnie Hawkins’ backup band. One of the places they used to play often (The Concord Tavern) used to be right around the corner from where I live. It’s a music store now. The Friar’s Tavern where they first met and rehearsed with Dylan became a Hard Rock Café (ugh) which is gone now. The Riverboat is also long gone. “Isabella” from Neil’s Ambulance Blues is actually Isabella Street. In the late 60’s and early 70’s The Rockpile had shows by Zep (they had 2 in one day - between shows they threatened not to play the 2nd show unless they got more $$. They got it) The Who and MC5. In the 80s it was reborn as The Concert Hall where I saw early REM shows, Ramones, Iggy, Sonic Youth, Pixies etc…

I could go on about The Horseshoe Tavern (Whiskeytown, Ryan solo, Wilco etc)

1 bit of trivia - if you have seen Festival Express you might recall a bunch of twats in Toronto pressuring the promoter to make the show free (“music belongs to the people!”) and how a few performers went to a nearby park and played to appease them. That park is where we play our softball games.

IKEA I was actually watching Festival Express last night, well started it anyway!

That’s how we learned how to fight the MAN!

Down with the MAN!

Concerts SHOULD be free!

I walked past this address in London on Friday and thought I’d take a quick photo.
Morrissey and his oversized quiff lived at this address in the mid 80’s.