New releases you are looking forward to

@DougoBlue

I saw it on youtube a few weeks ago and I knew you guys would want it so the minute I saw it, I got it and put it in the box and came here to let you guys know and there was your post!
Perfect timing!
Enjoy!

New Jim James covers album coming!

https://www.jambase.com/article/jim-james-announces-tribute-2-album-covers

My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James will soon issue a new solo album filled with covers. Tribute To 2 is due out on December 8 and is currently available for pre-order via ATO’s online store.

Jim James released an EP of George Harrison covers under the Yim Yames moniker as Tribute To back in 2009. The singer/guitarist recorded the covers shortly after Harrison’s 2001 passing and the collection will be reissued to celebrate the release of Tribute To 2. James’ new album features “a collection of cover songs that reverbate with hope and blur the boundaries of time and genre.”

The My Morning Jacket frontman interprets songs made famous by a wide variety of artists including The Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher, Dianne Izzo, Ray Noble and Al Bowlly, Elvis Presley, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Emerson Lake and Palmer and Abey Lincoln for Tribute To. Up first from the LP is Jim James’ version of “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” by The Beach Boys.

“‘I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times’ is a song that has spoken to me very deeply from the first time I heard it,” said Jim James. “So often, many of us just feel like we don’t fit in, like somehow we were dropped into the wrong life at the wrong time. This song has such a beautiful way of resonating with that energy and relating to the pain of life on earth, but also offering hope and comfort in the beautiful sounds of togetherness.”
Tribute To 2 Tracklist

1. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times (The Beach Boys)
    2.Baby Don’t Go (Sonny & Cher)
    3.Wild Honey (Dianne Izzo)
    4.Midnight, the Stars and You (Ray Noble & al Bowlly)
    5.Crying in the Chapel (Elvis Presley)
    6.Funny How Time Slips Away (Willie Nelson)
    7.Love Is The Sweetest Thing (Ray Noble & Al Bowlly)
    8.I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob Dylan)
    9.Lucky Man (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
  2. The World is Falling Down (Abbey Lincoln)
    11.Blue Skies (Irving Berlin)

Who took this photo?

Good question.

The Oxford American Music Issue is out, and it is about KY.

Isn’t My Morning Jacket from Kentucky?

Hard to believe they wouldn’t be worth a mention.

right?

good call

The magazine has an academic bent without being an academic magazine. It’s the thinking person’s Southern culture magazine.

“The Oxford American is an American quarterly literary magazine ‘dedicated to featuring the very best in Southern writing while documenting the complexity and vitality of the American South.’”

Not sure why MMJ wouldn’t be part of it, but in many ways, the writers make the magazine, not the other way around. I have a friend who has placed a couple of pieces in it. The idea is that you write an article and submit; it’s not the sort of thing where editors assign specific pieces, for the most part. That way they end up with more expert, in-depth submissions. The type of writing here makes Rolling Stone look like a coloring book, but then again, what doesn’t.

They only produce one music issue per year.

Maybe MMJ doesn’t fit into a deeper social construct, or at least not to their pool of available writers.

MMJ is from Louisville. Maybe they weren’t mentioned bc they’re not new, or newish like Sturgill. Or because they’re not country. Or bc they’re from Louisville and not somewhere else in Kentucky like it looks like those others are.

Band: Acetone
Album: Acetone

Artist: Masayoshi Takanaka
Album: An Insatiable High
Year: 1977

Highly recommend this one - jazz, avant-garde. This is some smooth-ass shit.

I fucking love this.

her other one is out now too

it’s called Mother

she’s a fucking national treasure that brandi

Yeah she is. I gave a old coworker Brandi’s Benaroya Hall show a few years back. That company just happened to buy my husbands company so we all saw each other again at the Christmas party. First thing she says “I still play that CD all the time”

and her video for mother is out…just a beauty

I’ve pre ordered the forthcoming Ezra Furman, Jonathan Wilson and Calexico albums

Thanks for this Balv. Listened to her after this, she’s great. Can’t find Mother in my streaming service though

i posted the video up top yo

Is it just a track, there’s not a new album? Thanks man