Oh dear...

Not surprised, we all knew Ryan would return sooner rather than later. It’s unrealistic and silly to think that he won’t have a career. He’s a complete twat, but unless he’s charged with a crime all we can say is he’s a shitty manipulative dude. I don’t get the goal of the whole cancel culture thing. Consume his product or don’t based on your own beliefs and leave it at that.

The sins of boomer celebrities shouldn’t excuse Ryan or anybody else in the internet age (although I’m sure he would’ve relished the freedom/adulation of being famous in the 70s or whatever), but at the same time it’s pretty disingenuous to take some moral high ground with someone getting metoo’d right now but then pretend that older artists weren’t shitty to women as well.

Anyways, I got into Phoebe Bridgers first album after all Ryan’s transgressions and I’m much preferring that right now to his output. Her song about Ryan ("Motion Sickness) takes some great shots at him and I suppose that’s comforted me more than anything being said in the media.

All well said.

I think his career is definitely beyond its peak. I think this whole “issue” was the rubicon point for people who listened to his body of work (like me) knowing full well he was an uber douchebag but didn’t previously have a moral reason to jump ship. I think a lot of those hangers-on have, in fact, jumped ship and he will have nothing of a career remotely like he had before. He is, in effect, done.

That’s because you are an adult.
When is Louis CK coming out with his next special?

I guess if he didn’t make a career out of sadbastardshetreatedmewrongsadrelationship songs it wouldn’t be so fucking righteous that he’s being called out for being a garden variety dick.

I was never much of a Louis CK fan. He always kind of reminded me of a real life George Costanza manifested into existence, which is just sad and pitiful. The real issue we’re getting at is that even in the supposed era of “woke capitalism” if there’s money to be made off a product it will be sold. Corporations, regardless of how woke they pretend to be, only care about turning a profit.

I was listening to stand-up on Sirius XM radio the other day ‘Raw Dog’ channel (the one with the cursing) and they were playing Louis CK stuff. No idea how long they have been doing it, hadn’t listened to it in years.

If that’s near your house, it should say ‘PEDOS.’

We played at some garden parties this weekend. There was a very nice couple singing together and I couldn’t quite place the song. Then I realized it was Winding Wheel and I got a little put off. It was just my automatic reaction. Later I told my husband I kind of flinched when I realized they were doing a Ryan Adams song. He said “you mean that Wonder Wheel song?”

Wonder wheel sounds like it could be a Medley.

No surprise there, in regards to Ryan. I was excited at the idea of hearing music they made together though.

So how long do you think she can ride the “my ex was a horrible person so listen to my music” train before people figure out her music is just average at best?

I think it’s more the press that’s dragging that around. Click bait. She’s married to a musician. I doubt she’s wanting to have RA attached to her new music.

From the article “The lyrics are general enough that anyone can hear his or her own life in them, yet they’re also specific and well-drawn enough to make you wonder why there aren’t more songs about this specific feeling” – I’m assuming the author just doesn’t listen to any music? Because this general theme is everywhere. There’s plenty of songs about losing oneself in something, someone, or well, drugs.

I heard a snippet of a song on Twitter and it was pretty bland. I did read that Ryan’s former bandmate and friend plays on the album, along with Dawes. They’re also pretty bland.

Let’s remember that she was a teen pop star riding the Spears/Aguilera coattails. So…we shouldn’t expect much from her ‘musical career’ anyway.

Hard pass.

Not spending a lot of energy following through on re-starting her musical career seems like a rare stroke of good judgement on Ryan’s part to me.

By all accounts she’s a decent actress though.

I think my daughter might have had her CD when she was 7 or 8 though…