Oh dear...

@Jerry All very valid points, RA doesn’t seem like someone you’d want to learn from in terms of interacting with others. Collaboration is so important, and particularly so in music – whether it’s working with producers, session musicians, or just others that you bounce ideas off of (at least from my estimates, translated from my growth as a scientist in a totally different field).

I also agree about the 2006–2007 Cardinals being so good. I have pretty much every show from that time period; I came in around 2004, but I feel like they really hit their stride at that point, and of course overlaps with when Neal really took off with them. In fact, in the past years, as I’ve gotten totally absorbed into the Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Circles Around the Sun, and of course Neal’s albums, I wonder how much of my love of the Cardinals was the Cardinals, or just an extension of my love for Neal, but I digress.

I’m still a bit annoyed about RA’s tendency to talk up all these “masterpieces” that are just hanging out on some shelf somewhere (Blackhole, Suicide Handbook fully arranged, 48 Hrs, same thing, etc) and then they never come out. Since about 2010 or so I stopped believing anything he says about those things, and I’m not even convinced Blackhole really exists anymore, even though apparently Mandy heard it.

I suppose he’s still got a few bridges to burn; at least if you believe that he’s still friends with Don Was, Benmont Tench, etc, who still follow him on Instagram, if that means anything.

@thebalvenie agreed, I’ll let the RA stuff play if it comes up, but I don’t seek it out. I will admit I still play English Girls on the guitar now and again; that riff is just so damn good it’s basically just stuck in my fingers I suppose. Though I’ve mostly supplanted RA songs with Bruce songs in the past year or so.

I’ve expressed my stance on the cancel culture we currently live in numerous times. I won’t revisit it. I don’t know DRA personally but he’s always come across as a self absorbed, douchey, attention whorish asshole. And I got that vibe before I ever had internet access. I was a subscriber of the printed No Depression publication. What I read in stories/interviews in No Depression during Whiskeytown’s next big thing flirtation led me to that conclusion. But, I still loved his music & listened to it without feeling guilty or ashamed. And I will still listen to his music if & when the mood strikes. Without shame & without guilt.

I just haven’t felt compelled to to listen to Ryan Adams’ music in a long while. Not even the great shit from 1995 to 2005. Not because of the “me too” allegations. But, I’m just not the same exact person I was when his music meant so much to me. I had great times during that time in my life. But, I probably had more shitty times during that time period. And I no longer wish to romanticize that time in my life. It’s over & I never found what I was looking for during my alcohol fueled existence that spanned a little over a decade or so.

I’ll buy his next record. And I hope it’s great. But, I’m pretty damn sure it’ll be more of the same mediocre shit he’s been churning out the last 13 years. Mandy Moore should be thankful he didn’t write songs for her. He can’t even write good songs for himself anymore.

I’ll never buy another record of his
Nor will I listen to it

It’s not cancel culture for me

I’m just over him and really put off

I don’t have a problem cancelling DRA.

Yeah, I think those last two paragraphs sum up perfectly how I feel about it too.

And the people on the FB Archive who are totally consumed by his BS man-child persona? Really? Since when is that ever cool?

Ryan’s Cyber Sycophants are pure comedic gold. I used to visit a couple of the fanboy message boards back in the late 00’s just for laughs. I never joined. My membership application would have probably been rejected for not fitting the required fanboy, psych-profile. Which means cyber filate all things Ryan Adams at all times. Fuck!! What were the names of those sites? I think there was answeringbell.com, tobeyoung.net & ryanadamsarchive.something? But, you could buy yourself a fucking six pack & a bottle of Blackhaus & stay in for the night & just laugh your motherfucking ass off at the comments of his uber-fans. Blatant ass kissing at it’s finest.

Some of the best examples were the lot of them bragging up his website rips (dotccom mothafucka, etc.) & how he needed to officially release those because they were just pure genius. And how they all creamed their pants over III/IV. “Man!! Ryan just nailed it with III/IV!! It’s fucking brilliant!!” Too God damn funny. I miss those days. Endless laughs at someone else’s expense. The good, old days.

I was part of alt-country.org and whatever version of that there was prior to it but wasn’t so active in that one.

At alt-cuntery I had a healthy love for Adam’s music but a distinct hate for him as a person. There was plenty enough there to keep you entertained and I really do miss that place, even with the really cunty characters that would defend DRA as genius.

I really wanted to get word that one member in particular, happyhead, had killed himself.

Also, I was blamed for bringing the place to it’s demise and I sometime have to remind people that balvenie was actually the one to blame. :slight_smile:

Phoebe will always be asked about this, it seems.

Well she won Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB1Ff8DhS6m/?igshid=1p4pqs4sgbpvf

Celebrity skin always wins.

I haven’t seen a BIO section on an artist’s website quite like this in some time.

Man, fuck that guy.

Imagine having to write this sort of thing. You have to take an acid shower afterwards.

Unless you write it yourself, which I’m sure he did. No one is using “profound” for that bitch anymore.

Replace “profound” with “perverse”.

Replace “perverse” with “greasy”

I don’t understand how his websites work; he completely changes them more frequently than any other artist I know, and when he does, it wipes all of his user subscriber data (with the sign up page, which in the past I’ve done every single time). From a data management perspective, that’s just very poor execution. Or perhaps he knows that he’s basically starting over fan-base wise. But I think that latter comment requires self-awareness, so I’ll go with poor data management.

Also, I see we’re sticking with the ugly, outdated 80s arcade game style design.

A glance over the FB “RAA” shows rabid excitement. You’d think he’s the second coming of Jesus over there.

I’m appalled by the absolutely piss-poor writing on a stylistic and mechanical level. Who the fuck went in there and made that comma-ridden garbage fest?

Not to mention that typeface on the main page is atrocious. Such design details get under my skin haha. It’s not 1987, typefaces are so much cleaner now, you don’t have to stick to garbage. But then again I guess that’s the appeal for him.