Picture of the day!

Jackson Pollock with his dogs, ca. 1955 / unidentified photographer. Jackson Pollock and Lee Krasner papers, circa 1905-1984. Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.

Jackson Pollock (1912–1956), the leader of the Abstract Expressionist movement, had two dogs to keep him company in his studio—a Border Collie-mix named Gyp, and a standard Poodle called Ahab. Jackson and his wife Lee Krasner got Gyp in 1946, the year after they moved from New York City to East Hampton on Long Island. The name Gyp was a tribute to Jackson’s childhood dog, also named Gyp, short for gypsy or a wanderer. According to Helen A. Harrison, director of the Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center, Ahab was given to Pollock and Krasner by friend and fellow artist Alfonso Ossorio, probably in 1952. (Ossorio kept Ahab’s sister, Horla.) Jackson and Lee had a mutual interest in writer Herman Melville and named their Poodle after Captain Ahab of Melville’s Moby Dick, a fitting name for a dog living close to the sea. Gyp’s and Ahab’s scratch marks can still be seen on the door to Pollock’s studio.

Read more: https://www.aaa.si.edu/blog/2013/08/dog-days-of-summer#HEqxV66dt1yKuGWI.99

Just a dog from Twitter but I loved the picture:

Friend’s baby and Grizz met for the first time. :blush:

so cute!

it amazes me how most dogs seem to sense the fragility of a baby. Both our dog and my daughter’s dog never do anything to scare or startle the baby and are very protective.

Maybe a little bit of jealousy for our grandson who gets all the attention, but that’s about it.

My old dog wasn’t around kids much and used to bark if she saw kids running around. But once my niece was born and she was around her she was fine.

Grizz is like the extreme perfect calm dog for kids. The baby was pulling on his hair and he didn’t even react. They’re gonna be great friends. :dog::baby:t3:

Football is back!!

Love this photo of Amanda Shires by David McClister.

Here’s another by David McClister of Brandi Carlile from the same Americana awards event shots.

love them both!

“Just arrived back home from a wonderful trip to the Great Bear Rainforest.
We have spent 8 full days in search of amazing wildlife including the rare Kermode bear, also known as the spirit bear, is a rare subspecies of the American black bear living in the Central and North Coast regions of British Columbia, Canada.
It is the official provincial mammal of British Columbia.
While most Kermode bears are black, about 10–20% of these bears living on a few isolated islands are white and estimated in numbers between 300 and 500 fully white individuals making it the rarest bear species on out planet.
In this image you can see “Ma’ah” (grandma by the local first nations language) an iconic 18 years old female who appeared on the cover of National Geographic August 2011 issue.
We have found Ma’ah patrolling the cost line and feeding on Crab apples and Barnacles.
Seeing the excitement and joy of our local guides faces after finding her warmed our hearts and thrilled us.
Due to her old age it was unclear if she has survived the winter and seeing her for the first time this year made many of us so happy, she is truly a very special bear!
For me this moment of capturing her on the top of a temporary waterfall after heavy rains was the Icing on the cake of an unforgettable trip!”

Photo by: Amit Eshel
shot at 140 mm
F4
1/800
ISO 1250