Song(s) Of The Day

Lee Ann Womack, who did some Nashville crap in the 2000s, put out this really interesting album a few years ago: The Lonely, The Lonesome, and The Gone. Nothing Nashville about that album.

A couple of tracks:

cause it’s you putting it up i’ll give it a spin when i have time.

SAVED.

One more.

Paul Franklin plays steel on the album. Some of it is pretty experimental. Although nothing quite like his playing with the Time Jumpers. I saw them in the Birchmere some years ago. Man, what a bunch of Meades those fuckers were, but they could play.

That’s a nice Barney Kessel.

Watched this last night. I thought it was just OK, then the song was kind of stuck in my head.

It is nice to see the Isbell’s helping out a lot of fellow musicians and songwriters. She’s a fine harmony vocalist and fiddler and he can play lead guitar that fits in with a lot of styles. Nice to see him playing old “red eye” on stage.

What, you say, more alt-country chick singers? Indeed. Her name is Leah Blevins. We saw her open for Amanda Shires last year. Great voice.

I want to watch this Strand of Oaks. All band members from My Morning Jacket (except for Jim James) are the backing band on his new album. The bass and keyboard player are on this Colbert performance with Jason and Amanda. Like a super group!!

How about some Amanda Shires for the weekend?

And my nom de guerre:

Little know fact: my good friend produced the Strand of Oaks album HEAL. He said they sent the tape of the opening song (Goshen 97) to J Mascis to overdub a guitar lead, and told J to record leads for the intro and between two verses.

J sent back three takes. All he did was start ripping in the intro and played through the whole song. So they just used the bits that worked best.

But it’s a really good album.

EDIT–oddly enough, on wikipedia, my friend is listed as the producer of Pope KIlldragon. Weird. He did HEAL, and is listed in the album credits as such. Maybe he did both. Hmm.

Further edit–apparently he is listed in the credits with another person as producer, but wiki only has the other guy.

I was listening to this on repeat lately.

I’ve been listening to a song called ‘Jesus was a Scarecrow (Hanging on the Cross)’ a lot lately.

I wrote it.

How about you go away please.

One of those rare songs that when I sing along… I sing the backing vocals.