Song(s) Of The Day

Okay, while we are on the Tom Waits theme – this is the bomb for me:

Yes, it is! :christmas_tree: :grin:

United States has had many presidents, but only one king:

I really like both the Tom Waits Early Years records, and that song.

Agree. I might get murdered for saying this, but I never cared that much for his stuff after “Swordfishtrombones”. (I probably have not listened closely enough, though.) But I do think that the instrumental “Nightbirds” on that album might rank among the most beautiful pieces of music ever created.

I only care for his stuff after Swordfishtrombones. Rain Dogs is a revelation. If I could travel back in time and tell my 13-year-old self to develop good taste early and really listen to this album, I would.

While I loved the trilogy of Swordfish/Rain Dogs/ Franks Wild Years and then Bone Machine, a lot of his newer stuff isn’t my favorite.

I saw him six times way back in his early days. Those albums, up to Big Time are great… just different.

Back to school for me then, I guess (will give Rain Dogs a spin today).

I guess I signed off during/after Bone Machine.

Actually Mule Variations is a masterpiece.

One of his very best in my opinion.

Who Are You is a masterpiece.

Ten years ago, I was going through a divorce, a breakup, and training for a marathon. I was listening to Waits nonstop. I remember running at 5 in the morning in the dark, listening to Bone Machine. It was a great way to get through a midlife crisis.

Okay, this is also what I call a decent track:

Stellar.

It’s not that the content got shoddy, it was just presented in a style that was no longer of interest to me. Post-Brennan, post-adopting of Brecht is not my jam.