Summer travels 2019 - Where ya headed?

Nope. We have not contributed to local economy except with buying gas. I want/need to come back and hike in the Beartooth area. Pretty amazing. Thankful places like this exist.

go to Rosebud lake

you won’t regret it.

also, that area was very popular and popularized by Ernest Hemingway

BOZEMAN — Ernest Hemingway first arrived at the Clarks Fork River valley on July 13, 1931, bouncing along Yellowstone National Park’s gravel roads in a Ford Model A roadster until he reached one of the wildest places in America.

Hemingway was 31, looking for a place to hunt, fish and write, looking to get away from Key West’s heat and anyone who fawned over the best-selling author of “The Sun Also Rises” and “A Farewell to Arms.” He was seeking something wilder and more adventurous than the Sheridan area he’d visited in 1928 on his first trip to Wyoming.

He found what he was looking for near Cooke City, an old mining town at Yellowstone’s northeast entrance. It was a rough and tumble place where bootleg whiskey — “Red Lodge’s finest product,” he’d wryly call it — came in over the Beartooths by mule.

Twelve miles from town down a sketchy dirt road, just across the border into Wyoming, Hemingway and his second wife, Pauline, drove over the Clarks Fork on a rickety plank bridge to the L Bar T Ranch.

“Hunting in the mts. is more damned fun than anything you can imagine,” Hemingway wrote from the ranch to his buddy Henry “Mike” Strater on Sept. 10, 1930.

“I saw 12 mt. sheep a week ago. I can guaranty you shots at elk, deer, bear, and Big horn sheep — wonderful rainbow trout fishing — I caught 28 yest aft . all on fly. … I wish the hell you’d come. This is the most beautiful country you ever saw.”

The dude ranch owned by Lawrence and Olive Nordquist was a rustic paradise, framed by spectacular Pilot and Index peaks and the Absaroka Mountains. Ranch hands knew a lot about wilderness and little about famous writers.

“Am going damned well on my book,” Hemingway wrote Strater. At the ranch over the decade, he would write parts of “Death in the Afternoon,” ''To Have and Have Not" and “For Whom the Bell Tolls.”

Here the future winner of the Pulitzer and Nobel prizes for literature would spend five late summers and early falls (in 1930, 1932, 1936, 1938 and 1939), until his marriage to Pauline collapsed as he pursued new adventures with Martha Gellhorn.

Yet compared to the writer’s more famous haunts — Paris and Pamplona, Key West and Cuba — Hemingway’s connection to Yellowstone country and the role it played in his life and writing are little known, even by many locals.

Read On

Hemmingway was rumored to have spent time up near Baldwin Michigan, fishing the Pere Marquette river. Such an interesting character, there are so many stories of places he’s visited and left his mark on Northern Michigan… some have become legend.