Thanksgiving

What’s everybody up to?

We’re driving from Louisville to Baltimore on Saturday with my dog in the backseat. Then we’re driving from Baltimore to Northern New Jersey on Sunday morning to spend one day with my best friend. Then we’re driving back to Baltimore on Monday morning. We’re spending the week at my brother’s house like we do every year. I’ll be all over town seeing my other family members, old friends, and even meeting my mom’s new boyfriend!! Wednesday we’ll take my niece and nephew to the Baltimore Zoo since they have a half day of school.

Thanksgiving is at my brother’s house with just my brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew, me and Steve, my mom and sister-in-law’s mom. Plus two dogs.

Lotsa driving, lotsa eating. Pretty much what every year is like. But I only go back home one week a year and I have to get as many crab cakes as possible. :crab:

We’ve been hosting the family gathering for the last several years. My mom and dad live in a small retiree’s apartment and it is too much work for my mom. I’ll cook the turkey and rutabaga and my wife will do the mashed potatoes, dressing and gravy. My mom usually does a cranberry salad and brings rolls. My daughter will bring her husband and little Shepherd, our grandson. We used to plan our meals around watching the Lions game, but I stopped giving a shit years ago.

We’re off.

Only rule of Thanksgiving road trip music: it has to be an album from 2019:

Mikal Cronin - Seeker
Jenny Lewis - On The Line
Purple Mountains - S/T
Wilco - Ode To Joy
Whitney - Forever Turned Around
Dylan LeBlanc - Renegade
Proper Ornaments - Six Lenins
Better Oblivion Community Center - S/T
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Calexico & Iron & Wine - Years To Burn
Jay Som - Anak Ko
Josh Ritter - Fever Breaks

No GAI?

That came out last year.

Crab soup and crab cake tonight. Amazing.

Picked these up in New Jersey this morning:

Those look amazing.

My Mom visits us every year for Thanksgiving. My niece and her boyfriend are coming along with a few musician friends who come every year. I’m doing traditional Mex/Am Thanksgiving. Turkey (fresh turkey breast), ham, stuffing, cheese chili potato tamales, refried beans, spanish rice and a Maytag blue cheese salad for some greens. My niece brings the Brussels sprouts. I lamed out on dessert this year and picked up a cheesecake and mixed berry tart at Trader Joe’s. I can’t wait. My favorite holiday.

The Mex/Am Thanksgiving dinner sounds tremendous, Inky… especially if you guys can avoid the tryptophan and get a jam session in!

Family traditions are what it is all about- which is why I do the rutabagas. I always have leftovers which motivate me to make a batch of yooper pasties!

My dog and my brother’s dog Rosie.

best picture :slight_smile:

My family’s become a bit scattered over the years, so we focus on Christmas. With that, I usually stay in Chicago for Thanksgiving. I’m going to a friend’s place, who also plays guitar, so we’ll jam a bit before dinner. He also has me play ~hr of music for friends and family, so my setlist this year is:

1. Wildflowers (Tom Petty)
  2. Harvest Moon (Neil Young)
  3. Something More Than Free (Jason Isbell)
  4. Dead Flowers (Rolling Stones)
  5. Watching the Wheels (John Lennon)
  6. Magnolia (JJ Cale)
  7. Melissa (Allman Brothers)
  8. Wonderful Tonight (Eric Clapton)
  9. Old Man (Neil Young)
  10. Stories We Could Tell (John Sebastian)

A first outing with my Gibson J45!

Nice setlist. Enjoy

Should have said, hope you enjoyed it I realise now…

Stories We Could Tell is one of my favorites. Love Tarzana Kid by John Sebastian.

A lot of my favorites on that list.

Yeah, Stories We Could Tell is great; I particularly love Tom Petty’s version (which is the inspiration for playing it haha):

I realized as I was writing the setlist, that most of the songs come from the 70s; I was thinking of keeping it exclusively to that time period which would’ve been fun, but I couldn’t bring myself to not play Jason Isbell’s Something More Than Free and especially Petty’s Wildflowers, my favorite of his in general haha

Ha. Never knew Petty covered that song, but I like his version a lot too.

There’s another version by Petty on Pack up the Plantation.

And just like that it’s over…

We’re driving back to Louisville. Back to work Monday.

It seems like such a short break. But it all starts again in like three weeks.