Thanksgiving

TRUST

Brine:
7 qt water
1 qt Apple cider vinegar
2 cp Coarse salt
1 cp Honey
2 bn Thyme (fresh)
2 hd Garlic (with the tops sliced off like for roasting)
4 tbl Black peppercorns
2 cp Brown sugar

Prep:
2 Lemons, halved
2 bn Thyme (fresh)
1 stk Softened butter
20 lb Ice
Butcher’s twine to make a turkey lifter
Foil

Over high heat, stir water, vinegar, salt, sugar, and honey in large pot until salt and honey dissolve.
Then add the rest of the brine ingredients
Bring to a soft boil then reduce heat
simmer for about 20 minutes.
WAIT UNTIL BRINE COOLS!

Clean turkey removing neck, giblets, etc…

Place Turkey in a double unscented clean trash bag inside a cooler

Pour COLD brine over turkey. Gather plastic bag tightly around turkey so that bird is covered with brine; seal bag. Cover with ice.

Chill the turkey in brine at least 12 hours and up to 18 hours. Seal it shut and leave it until you are ready to cook.

When ready to cook, preheat oven to 475.

Drain turkey well; discard brine.

Pat turkey dry inside and out. Squeeze juice from lemon halves into main cavity. Add lemon rinds and remaining 2 bunches fresh thyme to main cavity. Rub the whole thing down with butter.

Place turkey lifter on the rack.

Insert thermometer from the top of the turkey (near the neck cavity) horizontally to the deepest part of the breast, making sure it’s not touching the bone.

Wrap the wingtips and drumstick tips with foil, place thermometer

Tuck wings under turkey; tie legs together loosely to hold shape. Place turkey on rack set in large roasting pan. Salt/pepper the bird.

Loosely tent the turkey with aluminum foil

Roast turkey 20 minutes.

Reduce heat to 225 until thermometer registers 155°F.

Remove all foil, glaze turkey, place back into oven until temp reaches 160°F.

Remove from oven, tent turkey loosely with foil and let stand 30 minutes.

25 pound frozen weight turkey should take about 11 hours.

Willie Cash’s Apricot Glaze
1 Stick Butter
1 Small jar apricot preserves
2 clv Minced garlic
2 medium shallots, minced
½ cp Yellow onion minced
1 Tb Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning
1 shot of bourbon
Sautee onions and garlic in butter
Add in other ingredients, (except bourbon) simmer a couple of minutes
Take off heat and stir in bourbon

Way to step up, Willie.

@WillieCash

Big ups, Willie Bourdang!

I won’t be able to do all that, but sending lots of love/respect your way. All the foil techniques are something I wasn’t familiar with, but will attempt.

tl;dr

It really is the only way to make a turkey.

The recipe looks intensive, but it’s actually pretty easy.

I’m thankful for this community that Nick has helped maintain. You’re all kind, level headed and considerate people. I’ve come to rely on the stability of this place. Love you guys. Happy Thanksgiving. :turkey:

same.

thanks all and hope everyone has a safe holiday.

Same. It sucks that I am so busy at my current job that I can’t also be here all day, like I used to be. But I too am thankful we are all still here together. :heart:

Much love to ALL of you and your families.

I have the day off today and will be cooking a Thanksgiving for 2 at home tomorrow.

Yeah, I appreciate you all more than you know.

We bought a turkey breast that I’ll cook tomorrow without any fanfare for just the two of us. We’ll also have our grandson here, but he’s 2 and won’t go near the turkey. We’ve been having him stay with us for the last three weeks, while his mom basically lives at the hospital 120 miles away. My other daughter just left yesterday to go back to Phoenix after a 2-day visit where she was locked down and couldn’t visit anyone or see the baby or my folks.

It’s a cruel irony that at the time I need my (small) family the most, I’m unable to see them.

Happy thanksgiving to you all from lockdown England :blush:

Happy thanksgiving everyone! Always enjoy coming around here and chatting about anything and everything; hope you and your families are healthy and safe, and finding your way through these times

You guys too, and everyone.
:peace_symbol:

So far dessert is starting to look like the best part:

This was incredible.

Big ups, Willie Fieri. I did the brine for 22 hours and the turkey was outstanding. I usually dread turkey because it’s dry and unremarkable, plus takes tons of time to prep. I spatchcocked it this time (removed the spinal column) so the turkey could rest flatly in the roasting pan and not dry out.

I also appreciate this community! Thanks Nicholai!

This is one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions:

Happy Thanksgiving all. Anyone here happen to have a link to Big Colors? If so, shoot me a PM. Appreciate it! :v:

I am thankful for this place and am happy to count myself a member, even if I don’t post lots. You people always make me want to be a better, more supportive and communicative person despite my spectrum issues.

Yes, I said ‘you people.’

Fantastic! So glad it was helpful!

My Thanksgiving highlight was laying down with Neal Casal’s records playing, going through the photography book. Such good work, and really illuminating stories. It was totally serendipitous, but the music synched up with the ordering of the pics, it was quite powerful.