The Movie Thread

Maybe he thought you meant board, as in wood?

I saw the part about the halfy. That bar is high enough for me.

My husband has never seen the 1972 classic Sydney Pollack film Jeremiah Johnson starring Robert Redford. I already gave him a lecture on how it’s the reason that the Sundance Film festival exists. $1.99 rental on Amazon Prime.

I much prefer butch and Sundance …
Please tell me he’s seen that?

No, no. I think he’s seen the Good the Bad and the Ugly though…

He said Jeremiah Johnson was good. I got choked up. It was worth the rental money/time spent.

A good friend of mine is named Jeremiah Johnson. His father owns a rustic log cabin business and he comes from Munising in the upper peninsula.

I also have a cousin by marriage who is a Jeremiah Johnson. We’re all rustic here.

I watched Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom last night and thought it was pretty good.

I remembered drawing her and I still had the small ink drawing’s I did of her and “her band” over 40 years ago, when I was in college.

I’m sure those “side men” were not part of her band… I was lazy with my research (there was no such thing as an internet at that time). Looks like I used photos of Anthony Braxton and Miles Davis as reference.

Just watched this documentary about some skateboarding kids in Illinois. It was very great.

I watched this yesterday. “Don’t expect much from it” is my 5 word review. Carey Mulligan is great in it, but there’s some stuff that just doesn’t make sense, detracting from the overall story. Films like The Accused and I Spit On Your Grave (the original one) handled this subject so much better. Utterly awful modern pop soundtrack too.

Watched Blaze, the movie about Blaze Foley. It’s a visually beautiful movie. I really loved it. I didn’t realize just how much Charlie Sexton looks like Townes. They have the same shaped head. The woman who played Foley’s wife is captivating. I recommend it.

One of my favorite movies of the last decade. I agree about Charlie as Townes. It’s astonishing. I already have a massive man crush on him, but that one put me over the top. My wife lets me keep this print around the house:

Great poster. Got to see him solo in the late 80’s when he had a pop star moment and was real pretty.

Can’t stop thinking about that movie. Some of the scenes are achingly beautiful.

I saw Charlie Sexton with the Arcangels. GREAT concert.

We liked it too.

This was really good.
As expected, Frances McDormand was perfect.

I think I am going to watch that tonight. Can’t wait.

Has anyone watched Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar? It’s only available to rent On-Demand…or torrent :wink: . It is such an oddly specific, weird, kitschy, silly, colorful delight! The characters and dialogue are perfect. It’s the most unique comedy I have seen in many years. This will be a cult favorite for all the right reasons.

The poster is fucking great too.

I can’t stand Kristen Wiig.