The Movie Thread

Thoughts on the Ken Burns Hemingway documentary?

I thought it did a pretty good job of illuminating his personality and condition… he was quite a character.

His life and writings were an enormous influence on my generation. The thirst for adventure, rugged individualism and love of nature and the outdoors are things that he brought into focus. Books and stories you didn’t need a college education to understand, yet there was so much underlying depth.

I wished it was twice as long, like some of his novels and short stories.

this is on my list to watch.

any mention of his time and love for montana?

They covered his time in Idaho (Ketchum) in episode 3, but I never heard much about Montana.

I haven’t seen all of episode 2 though… I will watch that entire episode on Friday.

I wanted to learn more about his time in Northern Michigan too, but they kind of glossed over that.

I’ve read “In Our Time” at least 50 times. The doc was shocking in puncturing the self-mythologizing and toughness he projected. I know, he’s a writer, that’s what they do…

Specifically about how he relied on his wives’ family financial assistance for a great deal. I remember reading “A moveable feast” and how he was hungry and hallucinated looking at Cezannes. It turns out his wife’s family was subsidizing his time in Paris and he was never hungry or without the funds to drink whenever he wanted.

Then he left his wife for another lady, whose family was able to pay for his trip to Africa.

I’ve only finished Ep 2, but these incidents stuck with me.

Seems like everyone was willing to prop him up as a mythological character, and he was so willing to go along with it and add to the legend - even if it was lies and made up stories.

However, there was plenty that he did do and accomplish… seemed like the documentary mostly focused on what a dick he was. I would have loved to have a couple of beers and listened to him tell stories, even if they weren’t entirely true.

Amazing writer and talent. Subversive at the time. I liked that he wrote “In Our Time” and intentionally used a vocabulary that could be understood by 5th graders upward, which was going against the grain of “modernism” at the time, which was largely inaccessible unless you were college educated, etc.

Probably because his accomplishments are well known at this point.

I’m really enjoying the doc, though.

The stoicism that he embodied seemed to be laid out as the example of how we young men were expected to live… at least in my generation.

I walked by his house in Key West, but I don’t think it was open. Not sure if that one is a museum or not. I was interested in his time there, but they never mentioned it - unless that is covered in the first half of part 2.

I can’t imagine that, Dougo. Must have been so rough. I feel for you. I wonder how many people French kissed a shotgun instead of being vulnerable and asking for help because of this kind of example.

Nice. We watched it a few months ago.

I went there when I was a kid with my parents and my grandparents. :slightly_smiling_face:

His nephew still owns their family cottage up at Walloon lake in Northern Michigan, near Petosky.

Windemere

How was the entertainment? I’m fascinated by the Borscht Belt.

I was about 4 so I don’t remember, other than what I’ve seen in pictures. My parents talked about it for years though.

My friend who left NYC for Kingston during COVID just went on a road trip to see the old crumbling palaces. He said there wasn’t much left to see, but interesting for what was around.

Love this one:

Getting prepared for The Oscars:

We’re watching Evita.

Well LB, how were those three?

I’ve watched the Oscars regularly since I was in the industry and will watch tonight. But both the ceremony and the film crops each year for the past decade or so have been overwhelmingly lackluster, with rare exceptions. For at least the last five, we’ve seen B/B+ movies winning awards, often several of them since the field of material that is even worthy of nomination is so narrow.

Hopefully the industry can rebound from the loss of ideas caused by their own superhero fetish and the defection of adult-oriented, thoughtful material to the streaming services in limited run series.

Bong Joon-ho’s sweep last year is a perfect example of the industry recognizing that they no longer put out movies of the style and execution that is deserving of awards.

His wonderful movie should have been a curious entry in the foreign film category but everyone in the room recognized that it was better than anything made in the US. It is an admission of a failure that is essentially an abdication of any mature storytelling so comic book heroes can reign.

It’s like looking around your yard and admiring the 1000 pink flamingoes you’ve installed and put on insta, since they sure do bring the slow rolling cars by the house. Which is fortunate because none of those punters notice or care you’ve killed off all the grass to do so.

I liked all three.

The Father was the best movie of the three, but I still liked Nomadland and Sound of Metal better. But that’s just my personal preference.

I have not seen all the Best Actor performances but Anthony Hopkins was wonderful. Very sad movie and scary look into what it’s like to be old and suffering with dementia.

Minari was good too. The sweet child actor who played the son, and the Grandmother, made the movie for me. It wasn’t life altering in any way, but good story and well acted and pretty to look at.

Promising Young Woman is surprising to be up for Best Picture. It took me a while to get into, and there’s something about Carey Mulligan I don’t like much, but in the end I was really proud of her actions and commitment to her friend. Crazy fucked up story though.

Has anyone else seen any of these?