The new thread for The Grateful Dead

https://www.jambase.com/article/cornell-77-turns-40-holy-grail-grateful-dead-show-finally-gets-official-release

Well, the vocal mix gets better. I think the reason it succeeds is that the band seems to be in no hurry. That jam from Scarlet into Fire is like a group of people, post dinner, just chatting and sitting back, letting the warmth of the meal wash over them. They seem to be untroubled, and no one is hogging the conversation. Almost lazy, but it moves along.
But with most of the paired songs, the first one is OK, and the second takes off. The Fire works up to some brilliance, but the Scarlet is workman-esque. The St. Stephen is lugubrious, but the Not Fade Away that follows is truly inspired.
Throughout, two things shine. Jerry, perhaps due to the slower tempos, rages when he gets a chance. He also seems to be trying a different approach to playing. He’s not defaulting to playing more notes–he tries to play the right ones.
The other thing is that Donna sings subdued and on key. She does a great job of being a back up singer. Perhaps the best she’s ever done, in service of the songs.

Just finished the four hour documentary. Well worth watching. I really liked the personal stories and interviews. Just have fun! :peace_symbol:

22 years ago today I saw my first, last & only Grateful Dead show with Jerry. 06-25-1995 RFK Stadium. Just listened to it on Relisten app :peace_symbol:

Sadly it’s not very good. But it closed with Brokedown Palace.

Listening to Steve’s one show now too, at the old Cardinals Stadium 07-06-1990. Way way better show!! And About three weeks before Brent died.

I appreciate Brent’s contributions so much more now than I did at the time.

@LBSUNFLWR

Now on sale

https://hippination.com/collections/shoes/products/grateful-dead-slip-ons

that’s funny. I really prefer slippers without a back though. those just wouldn’t work for me. :slight_smile:

I think they’re for around town, slip ons rather than slippers!.

Ha! Then I definitely wouldn’t wear them!!

https://www.jambase.com/article/additional-jerry-garcia-75th-birthday-celebration-shows-added-brooklyn-la-sf-nashville

Additional Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday Celebration Shows Added In Brooklyn, LA, VT, SF & Nashville

As we previously reported on August 4, the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colorado will host a special concert honoring the 75th birthday of Grateful Dead frontman Jerry Garcia, which will be headlined by Bob Weir & The Campfire Band. Earlier today the Jerry Garcia Family announced that it will present five additional concerts around the country to honor Garcia, who was born on August 1, 1942 and died on August 9, 1995.

The shows, which will take place in Brooklyn, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Nashville, will all celebrate the late-Garcia’s music in different ways. The LA show will take it’s inspiration from the Dead’s cosmic-Americana period, while Brooklyn Bowl will host a show that focuses on the music of the Jerry Garcia Band and a special performance by Andy Falco (Infamous Stringdusters) of Garcia and David Grisman’s recordings that were released as The Pizza Tapes.

Higher Ground will host Burlington’s celebration, which will see an all-star band of local musician playing both Dead and JGB classics. In the Music City, the Basement East will host ‘Ain’t No Place I’d Rather Be,’ which will see Nashville musicians interpreting Garcia’s songbook. Finally, San Francisco will host it’s 15th annual Jerry Day, featuring performances from Melvin Seals and the JGB, Stu Allen and Mars Hotel, and Midnight North.

Here’s the full description of each of the additional shows:

August 1 – Aquarium Drunkard and the Jerry Garcia Family Present: Grateful Shred and Friends – Teragram Ballroom – Los Angeles, CA

In Los Angeles, Aquarium Drunkard and the Jerry Garcia Family will present Grateful Shred and Friends, a collective of Southern California’s premiere session players including members of Circles Around The Sun, The Western Stars, Mapache, & more, on August 1st at the Teragram Ballroom. Expect an evening built on a foundation of the Grateful Dead’s country-Americana classics of the early seventies, but reverently spanning the entire history of the Dead.

August 1 – The Jerry Garcia Family & Brooklyn Bowl Present: Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday Celebration feat. The Garcia Project, Andy Falco (of Infamous Stringdusters) & Friends + more! – Brooklyn Bowl – Brooklyn, NY

The Brooklyn Bowl will host NYC’s celebration on August 1st with The Garcia Project exploring the music of the Jerry Garcia Band and Andy Falco (of the Infamous Stringdusters) & Friends presenting a special performance of Garcia & Grisman’s The Pizza Tapes.

August 1- The Jerry Garcia Family Presents: Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday Celebration – Higher Ground Ballroom – S. Burlington, VT

Burlington’s celebration will occur at the Higher Ground Ballroom on August 1st and feature an all-star cast of local musicians. The evening’s line-up & program will be announced shortly, but expect an evening centered around the music of the Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia Band and much more!

August 2 – The Jerry Garcia Family Presents: Ain’t No Place I’d Rather Be: Jerry Garcia’s 75th Birthday Celebration – Basement East – E. Nashville, TN

A collection of Nashville’s finest musicians will present Ain’t No Place I’d Rather Be on August 2nd at the Basement East in Nashville, TN. The collective will explore the expansive Garcia Songbook with portions of the evening dedicated to Garcia’s many solo projects and work with the Grateful Dead. Additional details and line-up to be announced shortly!

August 6 – The 15th Annual Jerry Day featuring Melvin Seals and the JGB, Stu Allen & Mars Hotel and Midnight North – Jerry Garcia Amphitheatre – McLaren Park – San Francisco, CA

The newly added celebrations are anchored by the 15th annual Jerry Day in at the Jerry Garcia Amphitheatre in San Francisco’s McLaren Park on August 6th featuring Melvin Seals and the JGB, Stu Allen and Mars Hotel, and Midnight North. Jerry Day is a free to attend, however donations are gladly accepted.

https://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-meet-movies-feature-unreleased-rfk-stadium-show

The seventh annual Grateful Dead ‘Meet-Up At The Movies’ screening will take place at theaters across the country on Tuesday, August 1. The one-night only event will an feature a previously unreleased performance of the Grateful Dead’s July 12, 1989 show from RFK Stadium in Washington D.C.

Here are the details from Fathom Events about this year’s selection for the Grateful Dead ‘Meet-Up At The Movies’:

In celebration of what would have been Jerry Garcia’s 75th birthday, meet up with friends and fellow Dead Heads in cinemas nationwide for the 7th Annual Grateful Dead Meet-Up at the Movies. This special one-night event features the band’s compete, never-before-seen performance at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C. on 7/12/1989. The show also includes a terrific show-opening rendition of the Dead’s biggest hit “Touch Of Grey”, at least one song sung by each of the four lead singers, a very rare second set song and second set opener, and one of the only video recorded versions of “Black Muddy River.”

Head over to Fathom Events’ website for advance ticketing purchase options and to find a theater in your area that will be participating.

Grateful Dead at RFK Stadium
Jul 12, 1989
•Washington, DC
•Summer Tour 1989

Set 1
Touch of Grey
Minglewood Blues 
Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues 
Far From Me
Cassidy 
Friend of the Devil
The Promised Land 

Set 2
Sugaree 
Man Smart, Woman Smarter 
Ship of Fools
Estimated Prophet
Eyes of the World
Drums
Space
I Need a Miracle
Dear Mr. Fantasy 
Black Peter
Turn On Your Love Light 

Encore
Black Muddy River

This is ossum

sweet! I know Neal has played it before too.

one of my favorites:

That was my first favorite Grateful Dead song. I bought Wake of the Flood out of the cut-out bin back in about '74 and played it a lot. After that I found a used copy of Live in Europe '72, joined the Deadheads and it all went downhill (in a good way) after that.

I’m pretty sure American Beauty was my first Dead album, and this was my third (Skull & Roses second), and I loved Wake of the Flood immediately, probably because of this song, Row Jimmy, and Eyes of the World.

Those shows in May 77 are just so awesome; probably my favorite time period. Though special mention goes out to Dave’s Picks Vol 5: Los Angeles, CA (11/17/73).

Today is the Anniversary of Jerry’s death. 8/9/1995
Going to head home and play some live Dead. :peace_symbol: :guitar:

for my road trip to the hike i put on He’s gone from that euro 2 disc set

love love love that version