Virtual Group/Band

Seeking great singers, people that don’t sing so well, and people who sing terribly but have a lot of gusto. We need individuals, groups, families, whomever!

I have a song I’d like to record in effort to put a little but of goodness into the world in a time where it is desperately needed. I think it speaks to the kind of strength and “We’re in this together” ethos we are going to need. Charlie and I are going to put together a “virtual band sing-along”. We have some really cool ideas about how we are going to put together the final product but we need YOUR help!

This isn’t a “I’m looking for background singers” situation. This is a true sing-along. Everybody is welcome! You don’t even need to sing the whole thing. If you sing just the choruses and bridge that is totally fine. I will give you a pdf of the lyrics and structure. If you listen through a few times you should be able to sing along by reading the pdf as you go.

We have friends all over the world going through the same situation. We want to include people from all four corners.

If you want just sing the melody, fine! If you want to throw in a harmony here and there, great! If you want to jump in with a call and response against one of the lines, fantastic! Imagine singing around a campfire and just having fun.

We are currently assembling the musical track and are looking for people that can take ten minutes out of your day to record yourself singing along with it.

How it will work:

We send you the musical track along with a vocal track guide to learn the song and sing along with.

You play the track in an earbud on one device and record video/audio of yourself using a different device, then send in the file to my dropbox.

For instance, Frank would be playing the track on an earbud from his iPod and singing along while Billy records him on video using his iPhone.

Individuals, groups, all are welcome.

This will not be a vehicle for a solo artist. It is designed to be like a virtual campfire sing-around. Each and every person is just as important.

Please respond below if you are interested or have questions. When it is time to get the singers involved I will add you to the group in two phases so we can do it in a way which makes everybody feel the most comfortable.

I will post a REALLY rough version of the song as a response to this post below. Please note I put it in a key where I don’t sound as good as I’d like, but more people would be able to easily sing along.

The video below is not the track we are using. It is just a REALLY rough recording to give you an idea about the song.

Lyric:

Don’t You Know?

In sickness and in health. In poverty, in wealth.
In the darkness when it’s getting hard to see Oh, Darlin’ promise you’ll recall, we don’t break and we don’t fall And in the end that’s just the way we’re gonna be.

Don’t you know I’m gonna tend to your needs my friend And I’ll bring you cool water When you want something to drink Struggles come and go. They try to leave us broke and low They can’t knock us down from where we’re supposed to be

When the evening comes and folks are claiming “Kingdom Come!”
We’ll want for nothing, we won’t be ashamed Now there’s a ghost outside the door, but we don’t answer anymore I guess he might not get to stake his claim

Don’t you know I’m gonna tend to your needs my friend And I’ll bring you cool water When you want something to drink Struggles come and go. They try to leave us broke and low They can’t knock us down from where we’re supposed to be

We’ll be brave.
We’ll be strong.
It is our fortune,
And it was so all along.
Oh don’t you know?
Oh don’t you know?
Oh don’t you know?
Don’t you know?

But they can’t knock us down…
No, they can’t knock us down…
They can’t knock us down from where we’re supposed to be

I will post directions for how to go about this, a link for the track which should be available in the next week or so, an instructional video for how to make the video, and an instructional video for how to upload it.
It’s really pretty easy.

Willie is the Bob Geldof Covid-19 needed.

I like this idea, I’d be game to TRY.

Message sent, DougoBlue :slight_smile:

If Bob wasn’t such a lazy prick I might be able to get some damned sleep!

Well, we got it done.