What are you reading?

IKEAMonkey, did you ever get round to reading something by Don Winslow (Power of the Dog or The Cartel)? Just bought his latest, The Force.

Mind over Meds - Dr. Andrew Weil. Reads like most of his books. Reviews current big pharma, goal live healthy with the least evasive interventions. I am on chapter 2 and enjoying.

set this house in order-matt ruff
oblivion-david foster wallace

The last book I read was:

And let me tell you…whenever it seems life is a bitch and there’s a wall of assholes standing in my way everyday…I immediately think of ole Shacks and everything he had to go though, all the men he saved, THAT JOURNEY…and all the non-recognition he received in his life, I say, “Today’s a beautiful day.”

“The greatest small-boat journey in the history of mankind”

The Game - Neil Strauss

The Hero With A Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell

on the subject of Comparative Mythology, specifically the basics of the hero story in world mythologies and religions.

So far it’s really good.

Once you digest it, you’ll basically see it every narrative film made since your birth.

the orphan masters son-adam johnson

just started it

I am reading:
The First Muslim: The Story of Muhammad by Lesley Hazleton
Did Jesus Exist? by Bart D. Ehrman
A Provocative People: A Secular History of the Jews by Sherwin T. Wine
Darwin’s Black Box by Michael J. Behe
How to Be a Stoic by Massimo Pigliucci
…all in a weird kind of erratic rotation.*

*I’d rather be working in erotic rotation, but that’s the hand I was dealt.

welcome to the board! X

Welcome to the board XaurreauX!

What is a book “about atheism and Alcoholics Anonymous” called e? Also come back to us please :slight_smile:

Ooooh! This looks like something my dad would enjoy reading.
I’m going to pick up a copy for him.
:slight_smile:

Just got this. Anybody read it?

no

SX312_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

This is Volume 1 of 3. Liszt certainly had a long and interesting life. Walker should have won some kind of research prize for this collection, the guy dug into the deepest historical archives in the most ancient little European towns to correct inaccuracies that had pervaded Liszt-ian literature for the past 200 years. Pretty outstanding work.

Also learning a metric fuckton of music history - the collection of talent that was palling around together in the 1800s was insane. Just imagine Beethoven endlessly scoffing at Liszt as a child, until Liszt played the most difficult composition possible in the most impossible key, from memory, in Beethoven’s dining room, drawing the rarest of smiles and admiration from grumpy ole Beethoven. Stories and even original drawings of Liszt hanging around with Paganini, Chopin, Berlioz, countless others musical legends. It was all happening.