Whatcha' cookin'? - Eats thread

I should get that one for my wife, she loves cookbooks.

I baked my first pumpernickel.

Our gardens growing, so we were able to have a fresh salad. We also decided to have a fish fry with some white bass my husband caught yesterday. imageimage

I cooked a boneless turkey breasts on the grill and they turned out really good. Never had turkey steak before.

Oh that’s interesting! We have a few wild turkey breasts in the freezer. I wonder if that’d be an idea for them, or if it’d be too tough.

We’ve wrapped turkey breast in bacon before and threw it in the smoker. It’s not bad that way.

From my experience, wild turkeys are much tougher (all dark meat) and need to be cooked for a long time. My friend’s dad turkey hunts and he makes great turkey soup with them, but might not be the best on the grill. Seems like low heat for a long time works best according to him.

Making chili today. Since you are all adults, I am sure you already have a perfected chili recipe, but I did win a workplace award once, so I’ll share my recipe if for nothing else than for your chili recipe voyeurism.

Ingredients

1 large yellow onion
2 bell peppers
1 poblano pepper
1 lb butcher’s blend or other ground protein
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 large can of petite diced tomatoes
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can black beans

Red Wine Vinegar
Cinnamon
Fresh Garlic Cloves (3 large)
Baking cocoa
Brown sugar
Ground mustard
Chili powder

Dice your peppers and onion, saute them with 1 clove garlic (chopped or smashed) and your protein until the meat is browned.

Add your tomatoes, do not drain them before hand. Season your chili. 1 tbsp brown sugar, 4 tbsp red wine vinegar, 3 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp baking cocoa, ½ tbsp of ground mustard, ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon to taste (you should be able to taste it, but don’t go overboard). Mix together well, adjust as needed.

Rinse and drain your beans, then carefully fold them into your chili. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours, or refrigerate for reheating tomorrow.

we did chili last night
had a bonfire and smores too
and beers

we add fritos chips to our chili.

our recipe is very similar to yours :slight_smile:

That sounds amazing… we haven’t really had go-outside weather here since the beginning of November. We have that awful ice-crust snow.

I went to grade school in Iowa, down there they have cinnamon rolls with chili. We do that sometimes, but more often we just do sharp cheddar and sour cream. When I was a kid I’d basically have a bowl of crumbled up saltines that were permitted to look in fear at the chili from three feet away.

We do the cornbread with our chili. I always adjust my jiffy recipe by adding a half a can of corn and two eggs.

One thing about this pandemic and staying at home for months on end… I have been cooking homemade dinners every night and really getting back into cooking. I enjoy it and love to make it up as I go. An outlet for creativity.

What’s for dinner on Christmas Eve?

I’m cooking Shrimp Fra Diavolo for 2.
Got a pound of U15’s.

That sounds good. We were going to have chili-cheese-taters tots as an entire meal, but I made a last minute decision to make prosciutto/manchego/arugula on baguette.

Tomorrow is crock pot carnitas.

we did prime rib with baked potatoes and caesar salad. and lots of sweets to follow
and a bottle of wine.

We’re out of town staying in a hotel that is at about 15% capacity so we can eat different take out food. Last night was Indian, breakfast was Jewish deli, dinner tonight was Vietnamese.

Sounds amazing.

We braised beef short ribs and made pasta to go with it

Topped with parm
Yummmmo

What’s everyone’s favorite way to make salmon? The way we usually do it is to wrap it in tin foil after covering it in melted butter, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, bake for 30 minutes at 350. We’re having it for supper tonight, so wondering if anyone had a line on a better way. We made salmon cakes last week but it was the very definition of “just food.”

My mom’s salmon patties were so great as a kid. I bought canned red sockeye salmon in cans and mixed that, an egg or two, some lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and a bunch of crushed ritz crackers. She used to cook them in her dutch oven, but I just fry them on the griddle. A little homemade seafood sauce on top and you are in business.

Hardly gourmet, but pretty easy and yummy.

I love them, but of course my wife hates them so I rarely make them for myself… my daughter used to eat them with me when she lived at home.

salmon filet with skin on.

salt and pepper generously to skin…get a large skillet piping hot with olive oil and a pad of butter.

place skin side down and sear…only remove when it peels off easily. reverse other side…bake in the oven at 350 …just till it’s flaky but not over done or rubbery. has to be very soft like a ripe peach.